Tuesday, 19 May 2009

Another six months

I wrote the last post shortly after Day of the Dead and not long before the festival of the Virgin of Gualalupe. Another Christmas, Easter and Mother’s day have passed and the festival of Saint JuaquĆ­n, the patron saint of this town, is nearly upon us. I´m used to the pattern of life here, I speak Spanish (again) and I´m acclimatised - so I´m at a bit of crisis point for this blog - do I keep on writing? I think I´ve accomplished my initial objective of documenting my first impressions, but I´m now beyond the first impressions stage, a year and a half into my life here. The main thing that puts me into a new stage is the language. A few milestones were speaking on the phone in Spanish without the help of gestures, watching films in Spanish and getting to the stage where I could spend a day, or more, without English. Occasionally I speak a lot of English, depending on who is visiting, and I can feel "Englished out" these days. So this blog has already served a purpose, where now? Well, first reading what I have written I´m a bit disappointed with what I have left out - I will fill in a few gaps and then see where I go from there.

No comments: