Monday, 24 November 2008
Montezuma's Revenge
It's been a while since I last posted anything and in that time I've had typhoid, salmonella and some unidentified amoebic thing that lurked briefly after the other two went. Strangely I got them not long after visiting Scutari Hospital in Istanbul where Florence Nightingale witnessed the deaths of nearly 5,000 patients, many of them from typhoid. I had an upset tummy from Turkey, followed by a heavy cold and then, I suppose some few days later I contracted typhoid. It is a water borne bacterial disease that may well have wiped out many native Americans in the 16th century, when brought over by the Spanish, along with smallpox and malaria. Strictly Montezuma's Revenge is a bacterium specific to Mexico which attacks foreigners unaccustomed to the range of microbes to which Mexicans are resistant but it seemed to me that the old emperors were at the very least cocking a snoop.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment