Following on the theme of things that caught me out, how about the verb "hacer" which I had assumed meant simply to make. I keep struggling with this.
Some of the odd things that are made in the Spanish language are: cold weather, pee pees and one´s feelings about things.
In the latter case if you want to say that something seems strange to you say "se me hace raro" - it makes strange to me, how bizarre is that? Whether it is translated as make or do it is still pretty weird.
Meanwhile Sof was continuing to get confused between make and do - she was overmaking, I beg your pardon, overdoing it on make because in Spanish hacer is multi-functional. I explained that English was quite simple really - you do everything, except those things that are made by hand, like cakes for example.
Then I realised that the list of exceptions is itself about as useful as the rule. You make peace, you make for the hills, you make suggestions and money. In the latter case it is assumed that you are not literally making the money on your own forger´s press!
So in the end I can´t complain too loud about hacer - English is just as bad.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
No comments for a year now....does this mean you now feeling native!? :)
Post a Comment